The Applications Lab Engineer 1 reviews and assesses customer assembly projects and provides a formal recommendation regarding feasibility, best methods, potential issues and process options. This report may include suggestions for changing customer part material type, part dimensions and/or part joint designs to achieve a better process result. Testing of plastic materials and/or sample parts may be required to effectively evaluate a given application. The lab engineer supports Extol’s internal and external sales efforts with plastics joining expertise, consultation, problem-solving, testing, evaluation and analysis. Additional duties include machine set-up, small volume assembly work, and machine processing. Direct customer interaction at Extol or at customer facilities occurs regularly. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are essential to this position.
A Level 1 Applications Lab Engineer is able to perform some tasks independently, but most work, especially complex projects and difficult tasks will require guidance. A level 1 engineer is typically receiving “on-the-job” training.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday with weekends as needed
Working with the Applications team, as well as other Extol teams, collaboration is required and may include work outside normal business hours in extenuating circumstances
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist customers and potential customers by providing on-site training, product presentations, process development and process improvement support
- Meet with customers representing Extol in a professional manner
- Work with Extol customers to develop customer part features that optimize part joining/assembly performance
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the plastic joining processes Extol provides
- Apply working knowledge and understanding of process applications and limitations and utilize in hands-on situations
- Develop and maintain an awareness of plastic joining processes Extol does not provide, with an understanding of process applications and limitations
- Maintain a working knowledge of all process testing techniques that Extol uses
- Determine the best machine and tool options for processing customer parts and provide input for Extol sales, quoting, and design
- Determine the steps required to manufacture parts or assemblies to customer specifications
- Determine the parameters and allowable variation (process window) for each step in the manufacturing process
- Evaluate new materials, new equipment and new processes
- Conduct process development experiments to determine process limits and new process possibilities
- Create and maintain application lab records including all reports, drawings, models, photos, and other relevant documents
- Manage small lab projects which include communicating with customers, coordinating internal equipment procurement and scheduling, as well as basic financial documentation
- Support Operations with information concerning plastic materials and plastic joining techniques
- Assist Extol sales by organizing and processing equipment for trade shows, working trade shows, developing and presenting technical seminars and publishing industry white papers
Core Qualities (Expected in all employees within the organization)
Remains open to others’ ideas and new approaches to work, contributes to building a positive team environment, inspires the trust of others, and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Learns and trains co-operatively to help build one’s own skills; and other’s skills, works ethically with integrity; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; uses time efficiently (to include streamlining communications and meetings); sets goals and objectives for oneself and is accountable to make weekly steps to change and holds others accountable to do the same.
Knowledge of Extol’s Mission: Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
Required Skills & Experience
- Four-year degree in an engineering or science discipline
- Technical math skills required to perform engineering calculations and analysis during design assessment and testing
- Ability to use design software to review and create basic drawings and models (SolidWorks experience is preferred)
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to clearly document technical information, clarify unclear issues, convey information to customers and salespeople, and maintain detail accuracy
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Effective organization and time management skills
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Basic understanding of manual and automated assembly equipment
- Basic understanding of plastic joining methods and plastic part design and composition
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non- hazardous chemicals and lubricants.
- Adheres to Character Statement: “The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other and communities locally, nationally and internationally through significant impact.”
- Adheres to all company policies as communicated
- Supports and cooperates with decisions made regarding the business direction of the company, to further the Extols mission of innovation
- Keeps up-to-date on all company emails for communication purposes