This intermediate-level position is responsible for producing quality design of the PLC-based control system, motion, and electrical systems for custom equipment and machines. This engineer works independently on medium complexity projects and higher complexity projects with some direction from a more experienced Controls Engineer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The level 2 Specials Controls Engineer must show proficiency in all Specials Controls Engineer I duties and responsibilities, as shown below.
- Proven ability and comfort with multi-tasking and shifting priorities.
- Develop and implement the controls design, electrical design, and project plans per Extol guidelines.
- Interpret customer-specific programming requirements, select correct hardware, and program machine controls based on proven best practices and customer specifications.
- Collaborate with mechanical design to specify and approve main electrical enclosures, and junction box panel outlays.
- Develop controls designs and analyze expected costs to ensure that the design solutions are implemented accurately and within budget. Controls design includes:
- Designing electrical systems and creating basic electrical schematics. Also providing electrical control panel design layout, main panel and junction box layouts with electronic files.
- Purchasing components including all items within the control panels and other misc. items not specified by mechanical design.
- Creating the programs for machine control, operator interface, and auxiliary components.
- A level 1 Controls Engineer should expect to build electrical panels based on electrical schematics.
- Debug and optimize the machine controls to achieve specified machine functionality and required cycle times.
- Collaborate effectively with other team members to ensure that the controls design will meet stakeholder needs (Customer, Project Manager, Design Engineers, Machine Builders)
- Ensure all safety requirements are followed and met, and communicates safety concerns.
- Ensure the released bill of materials accurately accounts for all electrical components required.
- Facilitate purchasing and track necessary controls and electrical components and materials as needed to meet project timelines. Monitor timing and notify the team for items that will affect timeline.
- Provide technical support to external and internal customers and may assist with machine installation at customer locations.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the Extol Quality Management System (QMS) by following all defined processes and producing the required records.
- Review basic pneumatic and hydraulic power schematics to ensure intended control can be achieved.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as needed.
- Strive to live out the defined Extol values on a daily basis.
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate effectively with others, including resolving conflict in a healthy manner.
In addition, the level 2 Specials Controls Engineer is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Effectively communicates with suppliers and leverages those relationships to specify non-routine components so they work in the customer application.
- Identify root cause of issues and fix problems; monitor to ensure they do not reoccur.
- Participate in risk assessments and develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Assist in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control, and continuous improvement activities.
- Manage controls project workflow and support internal and external resources to ensure timely delivery of projects, expected quality, and allotted budget.
- Uitlizes ability to identify alternative solutions using hardware and software to achieve technical requirements and costs.
- Lead machine installation and warranty service work at customer sites.
Required Skills & Experience
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related science, and minimum experience of 3-5 years of relevant controls experience.
- Proven proficiency in all Specials Controls Engineer 1 duties and responsibilities
- The ability to write both basic and complex machine programs and integrate imbedded simple coordination motion.
- Fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in industrial automation including vision, power, sensing, inspection, and communications systems.
- Proficient in wiring special machines, working with AC and DC motors and gearing, designing or building electrical panels.
- Proficiency in programming robots (one manufacturer).
- In-depth understanding of NEC requirements, machine safety, and risk assessment.
- Ability to create complete schematics and layouts using AutoCAD software.
- Proven capability to troubleshoot, design, and program safety circuits
- Proven ability and comfort with multi-tasking and shifting priorities
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
Overnight business travel to customers may occasionally be required.
Desk is in a pod on the manufacturing floor with no walls to encourage team collaboration. Daily exposure to machinery, manufacturing noise, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.