Controls Engineer III
Designs and specifies control, motion and electrical systems to meet to customer expectations for cost quality and delivery. Orders electrical, controls and fluid power components and supplies. Programs machine controls. Debugs and optimizes machines controls. Updates schematics and assists in documenting machine operations, services machine control system at customer site when needed.
Performs other duties that may be assigned as needed.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday with weekends as needed
In addition to the following the Controls Engineer III is also responsible for supporting Extol’s leadership of the organization by adhering to all company communicated expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specifies or approves main electrical enclosures, junction boxes, wire ways and pushbutton boxes.
- Creates and/or approves pneumatic and hydraulic power schematics.
- Designs and draws operator interface and pushbutton layouts.
- Interprets customer-specific programming specifications, and selects and programs PLC’s, PC’s, robots, servos, etc. for machine control.
- Tracks and analyzes machine controls costs (labor and material) and timing to maintain Extol customer’s requirements
- Works with Project Management to resolve variances, meet customer expectations; utilizes analysis to propose continuous improvement changes
- Develops continuous improvement process practices
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns immediately.
- Communicates best control systems that meet project goals as needed
- Works with project team to complete risk assessments for automation solutions.
- Work is mainly standard with supervision and some guidance provided on more complex projects.
- Updates electrical schematics to document changes after panel build and machine writing is complete.
- Updates sequence of operations, programs, schematics and operator interface screens for machine documentation.
- Assists Project Managers in writing the controls section(s) of the machine documentation.
- Assists Machine Builders in identifying and troubleshooting mechanical problems during debug phase of projects.
- Assist and/or direct Project Managers with completing machine runoff requirements.
- Interprets product specifications and determines best control systems to meet project goals
- Specifies motion systems (controllers and motors).
- Designs electrical systems and creates schematics
- Designs main panel and junction box panel outlays.
- Purchases and tracks necessary controls and electrical components and materials, as needed to meet project timelines
- Debugs and optimizes machine control to achieve specified machine functionality and required cycle times.
- May assist with product installation and provide warranty and service work at customer locations
- Identifies root cause of issues and fixes problems; monitors to ensure they do not reoccur
- Assists in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control and continuous improvement activities when requested
- Takes ownership of the controls process and continuously works to improve systems, methods and processes.
- Works with Controls Lead to develop and implement training plans for less experienced engineering staff.
Core Qualities (Expected in all employees within the organization)
Remains open to others’ ideas and new approaches to work, contributes to building a positive team environment, inspires the trust of others, and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Learns and trains co-operatively to help build one’s own skills; and other’s skills, works ethically with integrity; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; uses time efficiently (to include streamlining communications and meetings); sets goals and objectives for oneself and is accountable to make weekly steps to change and holds others accountable to do the same.
Knowledge of Extol’s Mission: Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
Required Skills & Experience
- BS in electrical engineering or related science
- Minimum experience of 3-4 years reading and debugging PCL and OPI code
- The ability to write both basic and complex computer programs
- Experience in programing imbedded complex coordination motion
- In depth understanding of third-party components and software (i.e. vision systems, barcode readers, leak testers, laser markers etc.).
- Ability to work effectively with factory or sales reps to achieve a working solution.
- Ability to work well with customers to solve complex problems and incorporate requested updates.
- The ability to manage multiple projects throughout all stages of the manufacturing process.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- MS in electrical engineering or related science
- Experience in wiring special machines, working with AC and DC motors and gearing, designing or building electrical panels
- Broad understanding of machining techniques (metal forming, plastics joining and assembly techniques)
- Demonstrated experience programming robots
- Success in utilizing lighting, optical and vision systems in our industry
- In-depth understanding of NEC requirements, machine and work safety
- Understanding of CE, CSA/PSR requirements.
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non- hazardous chemicals and lubricants.
Company Wide Expectations
- Adheres to Character Statement: “The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other and communities locally, nationally and internationally through significant impact.”
- Adheres to all company policies as communicated
- Supports and cooperates with decisions made regarding the business direction of the company, to further the Extols mission of innovation
- Keeps up-to-date on all company emails for communication purposes
How To Apply
Interested in joining the Extol Team?
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for in the Subject line of the email.
We do NOT use an automated system to review applications. Your résumé will be reviewed by a human!
Extol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
To honor and glorify God in as many unique ways as possible as we build an organization that competes in the marketplace with excellence and a partnership that is ours in Christ Jesus.
The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other, and communities locally, nationally, and internationally through significant impact.
Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
From humble beginnings in 1985, Extol has become a recognized supplier of high quality, standard and custom plastics-joining equipment. Approximately 90 employees work in our 53,400 square foot facility located in Zeeland, Michigan.
For additional support, please contact us.