This senior-level position is responsible for producing quality design of the PLC-based control system, motion and electrical systems for custom equipment and machines. This engineer works independently on higher complexity projects, coordinates designs of complex systems with other engineers, and will mentor level 1 and level 2 controls engineers to ensure they are successful.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The level 3 Specials Controls Engineer must show proficiency in all Specials Controls Engineer 1 and 2 duties and responsibilities, as shown below.
- Proven ability and comfort with multi-tasking and shifting priorities.
- Develop and implement the controls design, electrical design, and project plans per Extol guidelines.
- Interpret customer-specific programming requirements, select correct hardware, and program machine controls based on proven best practices and customer specifications.
- Collaborate with mechanical design to specify and approve main electrical enclosures, and junction box panel outlays.
- Develop controls designs and analyze expected costs to ensure that the design solutions are implemented accurately and within budget. Controls design includes:
- Designing electrical systems and creating basic electrical schematics. Also providing electrical control panel design layout, main panel and junction box layouts with electronic files.
- Purchasing components including all items within the control panels and other misc. items not specified by mechanical design.
- Creating the programs for machine control, operator interface and auxiliary components.
- A level 1 Controls Engineer should expect to build electrical panels based on electrical schematics.
- Debug and optimize the machine controls to achieve specified machine functionality and required cycle times.
- Collaborate effectively with other team members to ensure that the controls design will meet stakeholder needs (Customer, Project Manager, Design Engineers, Machine Builders)
- Ensure all safety requirements are followed and met, and communicates safety concerns.
- Ensure the released bill of materials accurately accounts for all electrical components required.
- Facilitate purchasing and track necessary controls and electrical components and materials as needed to meet project timelines. Monitor timing and notify the team for items that will affect timeline.
- Provide technical support to external and internal customers and may assist with machine installation at customer locations.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the Extol Quality Management System (QMS) by following all defined processes and producing the required records.
- Review basic pneumatic and hydraulic power schematics to ensure intended control can be achieved.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as needed.
- Strive to live out the defined Extol values on a daily basis.
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate effectively with others, including resolving conflict in a healthy manner.
- Effectively communicates with suppliers and leverages those relationships to specify non-routine components so they work in the customer application.
- Identify root cause of issues and fix problems; monitor to ensure they do not reoccur.
- Participate in risk assessments and develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Assist in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control and continuous improvement activities.
- Manage controls project workflow and support internal and external resources to ensure timely delivery of projects, expected quality, and allotted budget.
- Utilizes ability to identify alternative solutions using hardware and software to achieve technical requirements and costs.
- Lead machine installation and warranty service work at customer sites.
In addition, the level 3 Specials Controls Engineer is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Effectively lead large projects with multiple controls engineers.
- Provide mentorship to level 1 and level 2 controls engineers to ensure they are successful and progress in their learning.
- Lead in risk assessments, develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Identify root cause of issues, fix problems; and monitor to ensure they do not reoccur. Communicate to the controls team plans for eliminating issues on future projects.
- Lead in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control and continuous improvement activities when required.
- Oversee and manage controls project workflow as directed by the Project Manager and support internal and external resources to ensure timely delivery of projects, expected quality, and allotted budget.
- Ownership of the controls process and continuously work to improve systems, methods and processes.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or Associate degree in related science.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience designing custom automation controls and debugging a variety of programming code.
- Proven proficiency in all Specials Controls Engineer 1 and 2 duties and responsibilities
- The ability to write complex programs with experience in programming imbedded complex coordination motion.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in automation, with skills in designing of complete controls systems..
- In-depth understanding of NEC and NFPA70E, ANSI, and ISO requirements for machine safety.
- Expert in automation safety (certified).
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk assessment with the ability to troubleshoot, design, and program safety circuits.
- In-depth understanding of third-party components and software (i.e.vision systems, barcode readers, leak testers, laser markers, etc.).
- Proven experience programming robots (several brands).
- Ability to work effectively with customers, colleagues, and factory or sales reps to achieve a working solution to complex challenges.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills to ensure multi-controls engineer projects flow smoothly.
- Desire and aptitude to help less experienced controls engineers succeed and grow in their ability.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
Overnight business travel to customers may occasionally be required.
Desk is in a pod on the manufacturing floor with no walls to encourage team collaboration. Daily exposure to machinery, manufacturing noise, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.