Performs fabrication of mechanical parts and components using a variety of tools and equipment. Reads and interprets specifications and requirements, plans, and completes fabrication of simple to complex components on a timely and efficient basis.
At a level 1, work is mainly standard with supervision and some guidance provided on more complex projects. This is typically an apprentice/training level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with Fabricator 3 to analyze machine design specifications and plans sequence of operations including welding, cutting, deburring/grinding, and machining details. Understands secondary, outside processes including stress relief operations and coatings, and evaluates effect on fabrication needs.
- Applies knowledge base metal properties to select the best joining process (Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG), Metal Inert Gas (MIG) welding) for the given application.
- Set-up weld equipment, calculate weld locations, and execute welds making any necessary adjustments ensuring that welds meet strength and appearance standards.
- Reviews 3D CAD blueprints of the fabricated part to plan the layout and operation sequence for cutting metal, calculates cut location, selects appropriate tools and materials for the job to make parts that meet specification.
- Removes excess metal and surface defects from metal through a variety of methods.
- Identifies issues and problems that arise in fabricating parts and determines best solution. Coordinates with the appropriate department(s) as needed to gain approval and document changes.
- Organizes and determines daily work priorities, plans and schedules work efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Manages standard raw material inventory storage and reordering. Maintains accurate records of inventory.
- Stages materials to be fabricated and transports finished product to next stage in process.
- Records job completion for tracking against build schedule.
- Performs work in a team environment, routinely providing backup coverage for machining, CNC, and/or assembly/build areas.
- Assists in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control, and continuous improvement activities when requested.
- Takes ownership of the fabrication process and continuously works to improve systems, methods, and processes.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance to include basic cleaning of tools and machinery.
- May train and provide work direction to less experienced Fabricators.
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns.
- Maintains a neat work area.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- High school diploma, or equivalent with strong technical background including shop math and blueprint reading, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude with ability to safely and correctly use a variety tools and measuring equipment including, but not limited to: drills, saws, grinders, sanders, files, buffing wheel, calipers, micrometers, etc.
- Demonstrated strong visual, and manual dexterity skills to accomplish minute details.
- Frequently move and transport up to 50 lbs, with greater lifting requirements accomplished with use of overhead crane.
- Ability to make repetitive wrist and hand movement for extended periods of time.
- Appropriately use safety equipment to protect against exposure to hazards due to intense light created by the arc, poisonous fumes, and very hot materials.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Willingness to enroll and complete an apprenticeship program, preferred
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
No overnight business travel should be expected.
In addition to the following the Fabricator 1 is also responsible in supporting Extol’s leadership of the organization by adhering to all company communicated expectations.
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.