Performs machine assembly, wiring, plumbing and debugging of standard and special build machines. The scope includes the coordination and completion of a project from start of build to run-off. Reads and interprets customer specifications and requirements, plans and completes assembly of simple to complex machines including assembly, wiring, and plumbing of machine, debug, documentation, shipping, and service.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday with weekends as needed
In addition to the following, the Machine Builder 1 is also responsible in supporting Extol’s leadership of the organization by adhering to all company communicated expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
At a level I, work is mainly standard with supervision and some guidance provided on more complex projects. Machine Builder I is typically an apprentice/training level.
Identifies problems in machine assembly and determines best solution. Coordinates with Design, Project Management, and Controls departments as needed to gain approval and document changes
- Tracks and analyzes machine build costs (labor and material) and timing. Works with Project Management to resolve variances and meet customer expectations. Utilizes analysis to recommend continuous improvement changes.
- Interprets product specifications and overall product build requirements and determines assembly process to meet project goals. Plans work, modifies details, and assembles machines. Uses schematics to perform machine wiring and plumbing.
- Purchases and tracks job components and materials, as needed.
- Performs machine dry cycle run (reliability testing), error proofing, debug and runoff process. Analyzes issues that occur and recommends and implements solutions.
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns.
- May assist with product installation and provide warranty and service work at customer locations. Identifies root cause of issues and fixes problems so they don’t reoccur.
- Supports project team with design reviews to communicate assembly best practices.
- Takes ownership of the build process and continuously works to improve systems, methods and processes.
Core Qualities (Expected in all employees within the organization)
Remains open to others’ ideas and new approaches to work, contributes to building a positive team environment, inspires the trust of others, and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Learns and trains co-operatively to help build one’s own skills; and other’s skills, works ethically with integrity; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; uses time efficiently (to include streamlining communications and meetings); sets goals and objectives for oneself and is accountable to make weekly steps to change and holds others accountable to do the same.
Knowledge of Extol’s Mission: Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
Required Skills & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent with strong technical background. Completion of, or attendance in, Machine Builder apprenticeship program.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude with ability to safely and correctly use a variety of hand power tools including: drills, saws, grinders and sanders.
- Demonstrated basic understanding of simple machine wiring and plumbing.
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate and match wire colors and read prints and schematics.
- Demonstrated organizational skills to efficiently plan and complete work tasks.
- Demonstrated initiative to be proactive in identifying and addressing issues and opportunities.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working with Continuous Improvement methods used in Lean Manufacturing Environments.
- Understanding of demands for high volume production environments required for automation equipment
- General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non- hazardous chemicals and lubricants. Work involves moving in and around machines in which hazardous motions exist.
- Works on powered electrical panels. Must be safety conscious with respect to self and others working in area.
- Work involves moving in, under and around machines, often in tight places. Requires regular manual lifting of up to 50 lbs., with greater lifting requirements being done with an overhead crane, if needed. Positioning often requires extended reach. Must manually apply torque to fasteners.
- Work may require non-typical work hours including Saturdays and overtime in order to meet project deadlines. Must be able to maintain focus and concentration to ensure safety and quality of work.
- May perform installation, warranty and service work at customer locations. This will sometimes require overnight travel.
- Adheres to Character Statement: “The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other and communities locally, nationally and internationally through significant impact.”
- Adheres to all company policies as communicated
- Supports and cooperates with decisions made regarding the business direction of the company, to further the Extols mission of innovation
- Keeps up-to-date on all company emails for communication purposes