This intermediate-level position is responsible for producing quality designs for custom equipment and tooling. This engineer works independently on medium complexity projects and higher complexity projects with some direction from a more experienced Design Engineer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The level II Specials Design Engineer must show proficiency in all Specials Design Engineer I duties and responsibilities, as shown below.
- Develop and implement design project plans per Extol guidelines.
- Develop design concepts and review them with the customer before designing in earnest.
- Develop mechanical designs and analyze expected costs to ensure that the design will hit the budget. Mechanical design includes:
- Solid models and use of PDM
- Manufactured detail drawings and electronic files
- Purchased components including sensors and pneumatics
- Pneumatic schematics
- Sequence of Operations with cycle time breakdown
- Input/output definition (for Controls Engineering)
- Safety calculations as required
- Lead design review with the customer according to design meeting agenda
- Collaborate effectively with other team members to ensure that the design will meet stakeholder needs (Customer, Project Manager, Controls Engineers, Material Conversion, Machine Builders)
- Ensure released bill of materials accurately accounts for all mechanical components required
- Ensure all required detailed drawings and electronic manufacturing files are released and manufacturable
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the Extol Quality Management System (QMS) by following all defined processes and producing the required records
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as needed
- Strive to live out the defined Extol values on a daily basis
In addition, the level II Specials Design Engineer is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Working knowledge of Extol manufacturing processes and able to provide reasonable estimates on manufacturing costs.
- Lead risk assessments and develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Evaluate and implement ergonomics best practices into designs.
- Effective communication of controls technology.
- Effectively communicates with suppliers and leverages those relationships to specify non-routine components so they work in the customer application.
- Proficiency in pneumatic and hydraulic fluid circuit designs and schematics.
- Proficiency in surface modeling in the SolidWorks platform.
- Proficiency in relevant engineering analysis such as FEA.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or associates degree in engineering/design
- 2-4 years of experience designing custom automation and tooling using SolidWorks
- Proven proficiency in all Specials Design Engineer I duties and responsibilities
- Proven ability and comfort with multi-tasking and shifting priorities
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate effectively with others, including resolving conflict in a healthy manner.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
Overnight business travel to customers may occasionally be required.
Desk is in a pod on the manufacturing floor with no walls to encourage team collaboration. Daily exposure to machinery, manufacturing noise, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.