Specials Design Engineer II
Concepts and develops detailed designs for standard tooling, custom automated machines, automated cell, and custom workstations. Includes the design of structure, layout, and all mechanical components. Is responsible for the design of the pneumatic assembly. Also responsible for specifying electrical components outside of the electrical cabinet, including sensors and vision systems. Creates and maintains necessary machine documentation including machine specifications, drawings, models and renderings. Develops good customer relations to ensure the machine design results in a satisfactory machine that produces an acceptable part for the customer. Upon completion, analyzes data and reports findings to enable continuous improvement.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday with weekends as needed
In addition to the following, the Specials Design Engineer II is also responsible for supporting Extol’s leadership of the organization by adhering to all company communicated expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
At a level II, work involves more complex issues, but these issues typically can be addressed through unique application of standard practices. Independence in planning and accomplishing work is expected.
- Develops relationship with customer to clarify machine requirements, gain approval for detailed design proposal, and resolve any design issues that arise.
- Works with the Project Manager to set up kickoff and design review meetings to maintain the project timeline.
- Travels to the customer’s site to facilitate a meeting or review machine. Travel is less than 10%.
- Specifies all component purchases and external process requirements. Generates project Bill of Materials. Selects vendors based on price, quality (functionality and reliability) and delivery standards.
- Tracks and analyzes design costs (labor and material) and timing. Works with Project Management to resolve variances and meet customer expectations. Analyzes design results to recommend continuous improvement changes for future projects.
- Creates and maintains design records including all concept specifications, drawings, models, and renderings, purchased component information, and engineering data/calculations. Generates the I/O sheet for use during the controls design and programming of the machine. Writes a detailed sequence of operations and naming configurations to be used by the controls team when setting up the operator interface screen descriptions for machine documentation. Updates mechanical detail and assembly prints after the machine build portion is completed.
- Assists in machine concepting and quoting activities as needed with the Sales department.
- Develops detailed designs for custom automated machines and work stations. Analyzes machine concept for function, ergonomics, safety, and manufacturability. Defines machine structure, layout, and all mechanical components. Designs main base frame, and guarding frame systems. Specifies mechanical motion systems (including cylinders, slides, gantry and press applications), proper part nesting and orientation, and machine sensor and part verification systems. Designs the location and proper mounting of sensors, main panel and junction box, pneumatic control valves and operator interface/push button devices. Specifies and designs all mechanical safety devices per OSHA, customer and company standards. Assists with specifications for pneumatic and electrical systems and controls.
- Supports the designed machine from the release of the machine to the time it ships to the customer.
- Assists in the development of Level l designers by coaching them during the concept and design portion of the project.
Core Qualities (Expected in all employees within the organization)
Remains open to others’ ideas and new approaches to work, contributes to building a positive team environment, inspires the trust of others, and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Learns and trains co-operatively to help build one’s own skills; and other’s skills, works ethically with integrity; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; uses time efficiently (to include streamlining communications and meetings); sets goals and objectives for oneself and is accountable to make weekly steps to change and holds others accountable to do the same.
Knowledge of Extol’s Mission: Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
Required Skills & Experience
- S. degree in mechanical engineering or related science, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in designing or building special machines, or equivalent.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of machine build process, company technologies and ergonomics.
- Demonstrates technical mathematics abilities to perform engineering calculations and analysis during design creation and testing.
- Demonstrates ability to use design software to create drawings and models.
- Demonstrates written and verbal communication skills to clearly document technical information (e.g., machine specifications and operating instructions), clarify unclear issues, and maintain detail accuracy.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrates organizational skills to efficiently plan and complete work details
- Demonstrates broad understanding of production processes (metal forming, plastics joining, and assembly techniques) with the ability to problem-solve moderately complex issues.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of design software to create complex drawings and models. Experience utilizing “SolidWorks” or “Inventor” 3D software is preferred.
- Demonstrates written and verbal communication skills to communicate complex, technical information. Ability to “sell” design concept through the use of formal presentations to customer staff and to negotiate win/win situations when design challenges arise.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify and mitigate risk early in the design process.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Basic FEA
- PDM or Vault
- Automated Cell Design
- Experience utilizing “SolidWorks” or “Inventor” 3D software is preferred.
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.
Company Wide Expectations
- Adheres to Character Statement: “The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other and communities locally, nationally and internationally through significant impact.”
- Adheres to all company policies as communicated
- Supports and cooperates with decisions made regarding the business direction of the company, to further the Extols mission of innovation
- Keeps up-to-date on all company emails for communication purposes
How To Apply
Interested in joining the Extol Team?
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for in the Subject line of the email.
We do NOT use an automated system to review applications. Your résumé will be reviewed by a human!
Extol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
To honor and glorify God in as many unique ways as possible as we build an organization that competes in the marketplace with excellence and a partnership that is ours in Christ Jesus.
The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other, and communities locally, nationally, and internationally through significant impact.
Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
From humble beginnings in 1985, Extol has become a recognized supplier of high quality, standard and custom plastics-joining equipment. Approximately 90 employees work in our 53,400 square foot facility located in Zeeland, Michigan.
For additional support, please contact us.