Extol is an innovative manufacturing technology company striving to improve plastic products through engineering, plastic assembly technology, custom automation, and 3D printing.
Join our vibrant and energetic team and use your skills to solve customer challenges while getting opportunities to give back to the community. Work-life balance and employee appreciation are essential, and you’ll have both when you work at Extol. Together, we’ll create great outcomes for our customers, the community, and each other.
The Applications Engineer 1 will work with customers to provide recommendations on best methods, process options, and feasibility on an application. The Application Engineer 1 will test plastic materials and sample parts to evaluate the application and will handle small volume assembly work and machine setup/processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist customers and potential customers by providing on-site training, product presentations, process development and process improvement support.
- Work with Extol customers to develop customer part features that optimize part joining/assembly performance.
- Determine the best machine and tool options for processing customer parts and provide input for Extol sales, quoting, and design.
- Determine the steps required to manufacture parts or assemblies to customer specifications.
- Conduct process development experiments to determine process limits and new process possibilities.
- Create and maintain application lab records including all reports, drawings, models, photos, and other relevant documents.
- Manage small lab projects which includes communicating with customers, coordinating internal equipment procurement and scheduling, as well as basic financial documentation.
- Assist Extol sales by organizing and processing equipment for trade shows, working trade shows, developing and presenting technical seminars and publishing industry white papers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- Four-year degree in an engineering, engineering technology, or science discipline.
- Technical math skills required to perform engineering calculations and analysis during design assessment and testing.
- Ability to use design software, preferably SolidWorks, to review and create basic drawings and models.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to clearly document technical information, clarify unclear issues, convey information to customers and salespeople, and maintain detail accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Effective organization and time management skills.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Basic understanding of manual and automated assembly equipment
- Basic understanding of plastic joining methods and plastic part design and composition
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.