Creates computer numerical control (CNC) programs which direct automated machining equipment to cut and shape custom parts to specifications. Interprets design specifications, plans detailed machining sequence and operations, and translates directions into numerical language. Tests programs to ensure output meets specifications. Generates job schedule sheets, drawings, and process routings for the CNC Operator. Continuously works to improve programming through the application of new technologies and techniques. Sets up and operates CNC machinery as needed. At a level 2, the work includes large/complex projects and/or projects requiring advanced technical abilities. May provide direction to less experienced programmers. Original thought and problem solving is expected with ability to foresee difficulties and take proactive measures to prevent project delays.
Performs other duties that may be assigned as needed.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average) Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday with weekends as needed
In addition to the following, the CNC Programmer 2 is also responsible in supporting Extol’s leadership of the organization by adhering to all company communicated expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Work involves some complex issues, but these issues typically can be addressed through unique application of standard practices. Independence in planning and accomplishing work is expected. Relentless pursuit of continuous process improvement is expected.
- Basic communication skills will require periodic use of computers and email as well as the ability to report performance and metrics relating to duties and applying basic understanding of software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Read and interpret instructions as needed.
- Identify and react to process issues in a timely manner
- Be able to quickly align to varied duties as required
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns.
- Value conflict resolution more than conflict avoidance
- Applies knowledge of the properties of metal and basic machining techniques to maximize machining efficiency and accuracy. Continuously works to improve programming through the application of lean manufacturing principles, new technologies and techniques.
Core Qualities (Expected in all employees within the organization)
Remains open to others’ ideas and new approaches to work, contributes to building a positive team environment, inspires the trust of others, and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. There may be times when other processes and team members will require you to perform duties outside of your typical area of responsibility. It is expected that you will be able to assist cross-functionally when needed.
Learns and trains co-operatively to help build one’s own skills; and other’s skills, works ethically with integrity; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; uses time efficiently (to include streamlining communications and meetings); sets goals and objectives for oneself and is accountable to make weekly steps to change and holds others accountable to do the same.
Knowledge of Extol’s Mission: Extol is an engineering and innovation company that improves the way plastic products are made. We work with our customers to develop a robust product and process solution through prototyping and testing. We also provide production equipment to meet their unique needs and then support that equipment globally.
Required Skills & Experience
- Analyzes design specifications to create a detailed sequence of operations plan. Reviews 3D CAD blueprints of the part. Calculates where to cut or bore into the workpiece (steel, aluminum, plastic, or any other material that is being shaped), how fast to feed the metal into the machine, and how much metal to remove. Selects tools and materials for the job and plans the sequence of cutting and finishing operations.
- Creates computer aided/automated manufacturing (CAM) programs that direct the machine to cut the part to precise specifications. Breaks machine operation into minute movements in order to write numerical instructions that will accomplish machining tasks.
- Tests and verifies new programs to ensure output will meet product tolerances. Modifies existing programs to accommodate variances in material or machine operation.
- Establishes job priority and process routings for the CNC Operators that align with requirements.
- Serves as a backup CNC Operator.
- Applies knowledge of the properties of metal and basic machining techniques to maximize machining efficiency and accuracy. Continuously works to improve programming through the application of new technologies and techniques.
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns. Maintains a neat work area.
- Successful completion of a qualified apprentice program with possession of a Machinist card, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret 3-D CAD blueprints, calculate angles and translate moderately complex design into programmable commands.
- Demonstrated ability to use standard measuring equipment such as micrometers and calipers.
- Demonstrated ability to systematically solve problems. This includes accurately identifying the problem, analyzing the situation, evaluating options, and selecting/recommending the best solution.
- Minimum of five years of CNC programming experience, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of CNC machining capabilities and the ability to translate complex product requirements into programmable numerical code for a variety of machines.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of machining techniques with the ability to develop original solutions to complex production issues.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage complex projects and meet cost, quality, and delivery expectations.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience in scheduling and monitoring workflow, setting priorities to ensure delivery dates are met.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing practices and techniques.
General manufacturing environment, daily exposure to machinery, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.
- Adheres to Character Statement: “The people of Extol are committed to care for each other, trust each other, and work hard together to create great outcomes for our customers, each other and communities locally, nationally and internationally through significant impact.”
- Adheres to all company policies as communicated
- Supports and cooperates with decisions made regarding the business direction of the company, to further the Extols mission of innovation
- Keeps up-to-date on all company emails for communication purposes