Extol is an innovative manufacturing technology company striving to improve plastic products through engineering, plastic assembly technology, custom automation, and 3D printing.
Join our vibrant and energetic team and use your skills to solve customer challenges while getting opportunities to give back to the community. Work-life balance and employee appreciation are essential, and you’ll have both when you work at Extol. Together, we’ll create great outcomes for our customers, the community, and each other.
Do you want to further your career in Controls engineering? Extol is providing an exciting opportunity to advance your skills and knowledge. You will receive advanced training in PLCs and HMIs and gain hands-on experience while working with many types of technologies. You will develop and implement controls & electrical designs. In addition, you will work with customers on various projects, from simple to complex, from project kickoff to equipment installation at a customer site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design electrical systems, create electrical schematics, provide electrical control panel design layout, and review basic pneumatic and hydraulic power schematics.
- Interpret customer-specific programming requirements, select correct hardware, and program machine controls.
- Debug and optimize the machine controls to achieve specified machine functionality and required cycle times.
- Collaborate effectively with other team members (Customer Mechanical Design, Project Manager, Design Engineers, Machine Builders).
- Facilitate purchasing, monitor and track controls & electrical materials, notify team for items that will affect timeline.
- Provide technical support to external and internal customers and may assist with machine installation at customer locations.
- Identify root cause of issues and fix problems; monitor to ensure they do not reoccur.
- Participate in risk assessments and develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Assist in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control and continuous improvement activities.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as needed.
Required Skills & Experience
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related science, and minimum experience of 3-5 years of relevant controls experience.
- The ability to write both basic and complex machine programs and integrate embedded simple coordination motion.
- Fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in industrial automation including vision, power, sensing, inspection, and communications systems.
- Proficient in wiring special machines, working with AC and DC motors and gearing, designing or building electrical panels.
- Proficiency in programming robots (one manufacturer).
- In-depth understanding of NEC requirements, machine safety, and risk assessment.
- Ability to create complete schematics and layouts using AutoCAD software.
- Proven capability to troubleshoot, design, and program safety circuits
- Proven ability and comfort with multi-tasking and shifting priorities
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
Overnight business travel to customers may occasionally be required.
Desk is in a pod on the manufacturing floor with no walls to encourage team collaboration. Daily exposure to machinery, manufacturing noise, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.