Extol is an innovative manufacturing technology company striving to improve plastic products through engineering, plastic assembly technology, custom automation, and 3D printing.
Join our vibrant and energetic team and use your skills to solve customer challenges while getting opportunities to give back to the community. Work-life balance and employee appreciation are essential, and you’ll have both when you work at Extol. Together, we’ll create great outcomes for our customers, the community, and each other.
Are you innovative, independent, a challenge seeker, and a lifelong learner? Extol is offering an exciting opportunity as a Controls Engineer to work with cutting-edge technology, assist in driving innovation, and collaborate on large and complex projects. You will develop and implement controls & electrical designs. In addition, you will work with customers from project kickoff to equipment installation at a customer site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design electrical systems, create electrical schematics, provide electrical control panel design layout, and review basic pneumatic and hydraulic power schematics.
- Interpret customer-specific programming requirements, select correct hardware, and program machine controls.
- Debug and optimize the machine controls to achieve specified machine functionality and required cycle times.
- Collaborate effectively with other team members (Customer Mechanical Design, Project Manager, Design Engineers, Machine Builders).
- Facilitate purchasing, monitor and track controls & electrical materials, notify team for items that will affect timeline and communicate with suppliers to specify non-routine components.
- Provide technical support to external and internal customers and may assist with machine installation at customer locations.
- Identify root cause of issues and fix problems; monitor to ensure they do not reoccur.
- Lead risk assessments and develop and implement mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Lead in machine concepting, quoting, design reviews, quality control and continuous improvement activities.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned as needed.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or Associate degree in related science.
- A minimum 3 years of experience designing custom automation controls and debugging a variety of programming code.
- The ability to write complex programs with experience in programing imbedded complex coordination motion.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in automation, with skills in designing of complete controls systems.
- In-depth understanding of NEC and NFPA70E, ANSI, and ISO requirements for machine safety.
- Expert in automation safety.
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk assessment with the ability to troubleshoot, design, and program safety circuits.
- In depth understanding of third-party components and software (i.e. vision systems, barcode readers, leak testers, laser markers etc.).
- Proven experience programming robots (several brands).
- Ability to work effectively with customers, colleagues, and factory or sales reps to achieve a working solution to complex challenges.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills to ensure multi-controls engineer projects flow smoothly.
- Desire and aptitude to help less experienced controls engineers succeed and grow in their ability.
Hours Required: Full-Time, 48 Hours/Week (Average), Exempt (Salary)
Regular Work Schedule: Monday – Friday (from time to time, work may require non-typical work hours to accommodate project deadlines and irregular workflow).
Overnight business travel to customers may occasionally be required.
Desk is in a pod on the manufacturing floor with no walls to encourage team collaboration. Daily exposure to machinery, manufacturing noise, and potential non-hazardous chemicals and lubricants.