Controls Engineering Team Leader
This hands-on leader ensures the controls engineering team is staffed appropriately with the right skills to excel at the challenging automation solutions that we provide for our customers. The controls engineering team designs and specifies control, motion, and electrical systems to meet customer expectations for cost, quality, and delivery. This requires ordering of electrical and motion control components and supplies, creation of electrical schematics, and development and debugging of PLC and HMI programs on various platforms. In addition, the controls team works in a collaborative project team environment that requires flexibility in work and schedules.
- Carries appropriate load of controls project work to keep engaged in the type of work that the controls team deals with.
- Schedules, monitors, and adjust controls resources to ensure that projects are completed on-time.
- Interfaces with Innovation and Development personnel to facilitate implementation of new technology on select customer projects.
- Works seamlessly with other operational functional leaders (design, project management) to address operations challenges.
- Maintains controls Issue Response Log (IRL), takes ownership of the controls process and continuously works to improve systems, methods, and processes.
- Assists the Manufacturing Solutions Group (MSG) and Project Managers in manufacturing equipment solution concepts and budget estimates at the quote phase.
- Understand the corporate strategic direction and works to align the controls competencies now and in the future to ensure the controls team is poised to meet the controls challenges associated with the strategy.
- Develops outsourcing relationships and proactively obtains outsourced resources when necessitated by workload.
- Make the time to keep up with new technologies associated with the company strategy and develop plans to ensure they can be incorporated by the controls team.
- Coach controls team members for performance, including conduction performance reviews and personnel improvement plans if required.
- Follows all safety requirements and communicates any safety concerns.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience designing, building, and programming controls for automation equipment.
- Desire and ability to manage the controls workload and collaborate within a team environment.
- Extensive hands-on experience with Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Omron, and Mitsubishi PLC platforms.
- Proven experience with motion control systems, and periphery hardware such as load cells, vision systems, barcode readers, screw drive controllers, etc.
- Ability to program and debug large multi-station machines including implementation of safety PLC’s.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage complex projects and meet cost, quality and delivery expectations.
- Proven ability and desire to lead and mentor a group of controls engineers. This includes identifying and implementing training plans for individuals, developing and implementing plans to meet gaps in team capability based on strategic direction, and outsourcing as required
- Desire and ability to learn new technologies.
- Training and experience in Human-Centered Design in the realm of human machine interfaces.
- Work involves both office and on the floor requirements.
- Work involves moving in and around machines, often in tight places such as within panel enclosures. This work often involves machine debug with safety devices inhibited.
- Work may require non-typical work hours including Saturdays and overtime to meet project deadlines. Must be able to maintain focus and concentration to ensure safety and quality of work.
- May perform installation, warranty and service work at customer locations. This will sometimes require overnight travel.
How To Apply
Interested in joining the Extol Team?
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for in the Subject line of the email.
Extol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
For additional support, please contact us.